Thursday 31 March 2011

The End!

So, we’ve reached the end! It’s come as a bit of a surprise really, it doesn’t feel like we’ve been here for almost a year and a half! Looking back over our time here, it’s amazing to remember all the things we’ve done, working with so many teams and on so many exciting projects in some amazing buildings.
My personal highlight of my time here was working in The Old Courtroom during The Brighton Festival last year. I had such a fantastic time and learnt so much about managing a building. I made some valuable personal and professional contacts (one of which led to a trip to Glastonbury!) which I have maintained. I am currently working with some of them and am plan on continuing to do so well into the future.
I’ve also thoroughly enjoyed working on the special events that have occurred over the duration – both Royal Pavilion Christmases, White Night 2010 and the numerous private views just to begin with!
Recently, working on the Young People’s Video Project with Rachel and various youth groups has also been thoroughly enjoyable and gave me the chance to have some creative and managerial input into a project.
And of course working in one of the most iconic buildings in the country has been a complete privilege. To be able to visit areas of the buildings that are not open to the public and to learn so much about the history of the venues and the people involved with them has been a joy and I feel so lucky to be able to do so, so early in my career.

The Apprenticeship course has been a brilliant programme of work for me to follow with a high emphasis on vocational learning, with the opportunity to produce written work with space to research our sector and develop our own opinions and ideas. Working with City College to gain a recognised qualification and create a large portfolio of evidence has been completely invaluable. Marcus, our assessor, has been such an amazing person to work with and a fantastic mentor. I’m really proud of the work I produced and hope that it reflects me and will help me to achieve my future goals!

As for the future, I have been applying to drama schools to study Stage Management and Technical Theatre from September. I’m still waiting to hear if I have any offers, but in the meantime I will be busy working at The Old Courtroom and stage managing two shows in another venue during the Festival in May. I will continue to work with The Treason Show at the Pavilion Theatre as well as extending my contacts and experience in other ways. Working at the Royal Pavilion and Museums has helped me develop my knowledge and skills of working within public venues as well as putting on events. It reinforced my thought that working in the arts sector is the right choice for me.

I would like to thank everyone who allowed Zak and I to work with them during our time here and for being so welcoming and patient. Special thanks to John Cooper and Mike Eaton for organising everything and giving us this opportunity.

Last week Zak and I met with the leader of the council, Mary Mears, and councillor David Smith, the Cabinet Member for Culture along with John, our manager at the Pavilion, Mike, the Council’s apprenticeships officer and Marcus and Jean from City College. We were officially awarded our completion certificate, had our photograph taken many times and received some very kind words.


Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment